The Loraine Lab has two locations at the Research Campus in Kannapolis:
- The software development group works (mainly) in the DHMRI Core Lab. The address is 150 North Research Campus Drive. (It’s the building with the dome next to the parking garage.)
- The experimental biology (“wet”) lab is located on the 4th floor of the NC State Building. The address is 600 Laureate Way. (It is next to the building with the dome.)
If you are coming to the experimental lab in the NC State Building, first visit the NC State office to request a visitors badge. You will need it to take the elevator or stairs. If you are coming to meet with the software development group in the Core Lab Building, visit the Security Desk on the first floor to get a badge. They will direct you from there.
If visiting by car, free parking is available in the parking garage or on the street.
Public transportation options
If visiting from UNC Charlotte, you can take the CCX (Express) bus from the JW Clay light rail station near the UNC Charlotte campus to the Concord Transit Center. The CCX bus stop is next to the parking garage on the west side, close to the entrance of Panera Bread.
From the Concord Transit Center, transfer to the CKRider (Concord-Kannapolis) Blue or Brown line local bus. Take the local bus to the Research Campus or stops nearby.
Tip: Take the Blue line from the Transit Center to the Research Campus and take the Brown line going back. (Review the schedule and maps to see how this shortens your commute duration.)
There is an Amtrak Station a few blocks from the Research Campus. Two Amtrak lines stop there: the Carolinian and the Piedmont. You can take the bus or ride share from the main campus to the Charlotte train station and take the train from there to Kannapolis. See the Amtrak Web site for details.
About the buses
Local and express buses have free wifi.
Buses converge at the Transit Center at the same time, where transfers happen. Buses leave the Transit Center at the same time after passengers transfer to their next bus.
The Transit Center has bathrooms, indoor seating, vending machines, and a place to buy bus tickets or get information. Someone is always there when buses are running.
Transfers & Passes
- Transfers between local buses and the CCX express bus are free. Request a transfer when you board.
- You can buy a 10-ride bus pass at the Concord Transit Center for $10. Bus passes do not expire.
- If you pay in cash or coins on the bus, the fare is $1.25. See: http://www.ckrider.com/fares/#fares-passes-transfers
Students who show their school identification card at the Transit Center can get a special permit that lets you ride for half the cost.
All buses have a bike rack on the front of the bus. Load your bike onto the bus before you pay the fare. There is no extra charge for transporting a bike.
GPS means you’ll never miss the bus
Use Trak It, the CKRider bus system real-time GPS bus tracker, to see routes, scheduled stops, and location of buses.
Electric vehicle carpool
If you need a ride from the main campus, you are very welcome to catch a ride with our free, electric vehicle carpool. Please get in touch for details on how to participate.