Do you think statistics is fun or at least extremely useful?
Did you know that one of the best ways to master a topic is to teach it to others?
Do you like getting paid to learn and help people?
If yes, you should consider becoming the Teaching Assistant for BINF 3121 – Statistics for Bioinformatics.
BINF 3121 is a required course in the undergraduate bioinformatics program, with class size typically between 5 and 15 students.
- Attend class and help with in-class exercises
- Class meets one day a week – Monday 2:30 to 5:15 in the Bioinformatics Building
- Some grading, using answer key provided by instructor (often can be done in class)
- Tutor students one-on-one or in groups as needed
- Hold office hours two times per week (Times to be determined)
- Good knowledge of basic statistics
- Knowledge of R programming (or willingness and ability to learn quickly!)
- Good at explaining and demystifying complicated topics
Other useful info:
- Workload rarely exceeds 10 hours/week, depending on student needs
- Rate of pay is around $1000/month, depending on experience & qualifications